Friday, October 15, 2010

Gluten free, egg free, dairy free birthday extravaganza! (also coconut and soy free..)

So today was my mom's birthday and I will take any excuse to have a party, but there was just one tiny problem...my mom is allergic to eggs, wheat, and dairy.  So much for a birthday cake--right?  Wrong!  Thanks to my sister Jen for creating this recipe.  Because of her skills,  I was able to create a tasty birthday treat.  .

Step one--the cake.  This consisted of gluten free flour, maple syrup, cocoa, oil, baking soda, baking powder, salt, hemp milk, and lemon juice.

Step two:  The rasberry sauce which consisted of fresh rasberries, water, sugar and lemon juice.


  Step three:  the chocolate sauce.


 


And that's how its done.  Surprisingly enough, it even tasted pretty good.  My mom said she would prefer it over a regular chocolate cake.  So there is a lesson to be learned here...never never NEVER say never. 



























Happy Birthday Mom!!!  You're awesome!

4 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Wow! You are a good daughter! Looks like a great party.

Shalise said...

Good job, ladies! I keep thinking your mom should just come and have dinner with us! Too bad we don't live closer. Emmy and I are allergy messes too! Cheers and happy birthday!

Charlotte said...

Looks good. I had no idea your mom was so allergic to everything. Is that recent or am I totally out of the loop?

Chelsea said...

No it is a new thing. She had some severe allergic reactions that sent her to the ER, so she finally went to see an allergist to officially get tested. Well, the tests showed allergies to a bunch of things (eggs, gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, tomatoes, etc.) She has to go off everything at first and then slowly introduce the foods back to know if she is truly allergic. She just started about two weeks ago. It runs in the family though, so we'll see..